Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day Peggy Dee!


Mother’s Day is always a difficult holiday for me because my mom is really hard to shop for. At least, I think she is. I’ve never actually tried. And it’s even harder to celebrate now that I live in Utah because it’s not like I can send a present all the way from here. At least, I don’t think I can. I’ve never actually tried that either. But thanks to our technologically advanced society, I know that a sincere heartfelt blog post will be just as cherished as any old cliché gift, like oh, a diamond tennis bracelet, and it will probably last longer too! So that’s the first reason my mom is awesome, she raised a thrifty daughter that is gifted with words. (Just FYI I’m talking about me, not Kacey. She’s not thrifty, she’s a tightwad. haha love ya Kace!)
So, without any more ado, here are the top ten reasons why I love my mom today. (There’s definitely more than ten reasons why I love her and so they change depending on the day. These are today’s. They could very well be very different tomorrow.)
1.       My mom loves taco bell. Not just loves it, actually. She LOOOVES it. Capital letters, multiple o’s, love. That might be weird but I love that about her. Every time I go to taco bell I can’t help but think about my mom. It doesn’t matter where we’re traveling in the world or what other delicious and exotic cuisine may be available, she is always down to hit up the taco bell. I love it. Plus, I happen to be eating a crunchwrap right now. This one’s for you mom.
2.       I have a hot mom (hopefully this doesn’t embarrass her) but for reals that woman has style. We’re talking Coco Chanel classy and fabulous. I didn’t even realize just exactly how hot she was until I came to college. I’ve worked with teachers way younger then my mom and I’m always baffled when they tell me their age. The woman has a gift. Plus, it comes in handy for me when I’m dating a guy and she comes to visit because I never have to stress about passing the Hot Mom Test. Score.
3.       My mom is one of the most giving people I know, which is why her and my dad were made for each other. Seriously. New to the ward? My mom already has your kids at our house and all your laundry so you have some time to yourself. Funeral? Where can she put the potatoes and rolls? Moving? She has seven kids she will gladly offer you, even though only about two of them would actually be useful. Dee is great and all, but service should have been her middle name.
4.       Speaking of names, my mom gave us great names. Not too creative, but also not too boring. Practical, but still cute. And even though she had a theme, she didn’t sell out and spell Courtney with a K. (Sorry all you Kourtneys out there but your names looks freaking weird. And sorry I said freaking mom)
5.       My mom is smart and she figures things out for herself. Her mother died before she even got married, so she had no one there to show her all the ropes of motherhood. I’m still just trying to figure out how to take care of myself! Plus she can cook, sew, clean, and nurture with the best of them. And run a successful dance studio on the side. And help coach drill team. And make it down to Utah every time Courtney is dancing. She. is. amazing.
6.       My mom thinks I’m a star. I’m aware that this is a quality most mothers have, but it’s still awesome. She thinks I’m way prettier, funnier, smarter, and more talented than I actually am or ever will be, and I love her for it. I always feel so proud whenever she makes one of my sisters call me for advice on hair and makeup. I love that she thinks I’m an expert on all things style, when really I just read too many magazines, buy too much makeup, and more often than not judge people based solely on their appearances. Only a mother could make those qualities seem like a good thing.
*Update on the crunchwrap, this thing is seriously lacking in the meat and cheese department. I hate that. If I wanted a pile of gross, processed lettuce and tomatoes, I would have gone to the salad bar next door. Amateurs.
7.       She’s always sharing her knowledge with all of her kids. Like the time in the car “Lady Marmalade” came on the radio and she taught Courtney and I how to correctly say, “Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir” (Don’t worry she followed with, “It means will you sleep with me tonight, so you’re never allowed to say it again. But at least now you know how!”) Or something more practical like the proper uses of done and finished. “A cake is done, but you are finished.” Super useful stuff. Now I can go up to strangers in the library and say, “When you are finished with that assignment voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir?” haha. totally kidding mom, no worries.
8.       I love that she loves the movie Baby Mama. Here at school, I judge peoples level of coolness by whether they think that movie is funny or not. I can’t even count how many times my mom has seen it now and she still laughs every single time. Anyone who understands the comedic genius that is Amy Poehler and Tina Fey is a person that I would be proud to call my friend. Or in this case my mom. Can I say Momfriend without sounding like a dweeb? evidently not.
9.       My mom has always been a supporter of my love of cats. I honestly am not entirely sure how she feels about them herself now that I think of it, but she is willing to let me love them no matter how wrong society may think it is. She even does things to fan the flames. She would send me videos of Loola Mae when I got to school, just so I wouldn’t miss her so much. She would text me pictures, or funny stories. She let me buy her an overly bedazzled cat collar (which is another fetish of mine she is more than willing to support. She loves that I love all things pink and sparkly). Everyone reading this may be thinking, wow this is seriously unhealthy, but not my mom. Peggy Earl is a friend to cats, the color pink, and all items bedazzled.
10.   The last reason I really love my mom today is because she loves my family. She has always been an amazing example to me of what a mother, wife and daughter should be. She supports my dad in everything he does, and because of their relationship I know that I am going to have a very happy celestial marriage someday. She takes care of her father and siblings. It doesn’t matter if they’re close or far away, she will be there for them in a second if they need her, no matter what. She never ever lets a problem that needs to be solved get in the way of a person that needs to be loved. She has helped all seven of her children develop strong testimonies of the gospel so that we would be able to stand on our own one day, and there really is no better measure of success for a mother than that.
Mom, we all love you so much. I hope you have the best mother’s day ever because you deserve it. 
 P.S. Sorry foxy ladies  but I had to use the blog for my own selfish purposes today.

2 comments:

  1. Kylie - what a great gift! It made me laugh. It made me cry. It made me want to watch Baby Mama while eating a Dorito Loco taco. It's easy to be a good mom to such great kids! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristy had to direct me to your secret blog... lame. But worth the wait. I loved all of it... except for the low blow. You are lucky I am still laughing from the rest of the blog.

    ReplyDelete